||UNIVERSITY OF BUCHAREST
FACULTY OF PHYSICS
Conference: Bucharest University Faculty of Physics 2019 Meeting
Section: Biophysics; Medical Physics
The importance of metrology for the medical field
Nicoleta SANDU (1,2), Dorina FOTACHE (2)
1) Faculty of Physics, University of Bucharest
2) S.C. METRON SERV SRL FOCSANI
Metrology is a branch of Physics, its scope being the scientific study of measurement. Metrology plays a very important role in the medical field because in the metrology laboratories the weight and the volume standards are tested for the pharmaceutical companies.
In this study, we present cases of single channel pipettes used in the medical laboratories throughout the country and which, following their metrological measurements, could no longer be used.
The measurements were carried out by using a pipette station for single channel pipettes, distilled water, several single channel pipettes and tips.
The method used is the gravimetric method for volume determination.
The pipettes are loaded in 3 points (the nominal volume, approx. 50 % of the nominal volume and the lowest limit of the useful domain and 10 measurements are carried out for each volume.
The piston pipette and the calibration cycle are prepared by following steps:
· the selected tip is attached to the piston pipette;
· the tip of the piston pipette is filled in with liquid and then the liquid is eliminated repeatedly for approx. 5 times in order to reach the humidity balance in the volume of inactive air of the pipette;
· then, the tip is placed on the balance pan.
One writes down the temperature of the testing liquid, the barometric pressure and the humidity.
For the future, one wants to get an increase of the measurement precision.
 Dorina FOTACHE, ETALONAREA STICLARIEI DE LABORATOR, STANDARD DE REFERINTA: SR EN ISO 17025: 2018